How to Make Health and Wellness a Priority at an Office Job
Do you have a sedentary job? Did you know that not meeting the recommended 30 minutes of exercise a day puts you at a higher risk for heart disease, diabetes, and cancer? Many are unaware that it can also impact your mental health. Living a sedentary lifestyle has been linked to anxiety and depression. Below are some tips to prioritize your mental and physical health on the job.
Ways to Prioritize Mental Health:
- Get a full 8 hours of sleep.
- Meditate, do a little yoga, or some deep breathing.
- Start your day off by listening to a podcast on your morning commute.
- Don’t skip breakfast: It jumpstarts your metabolism and provides energy so you perform your best at work!
- Set boundaries between your work and home life.
Ways to Prioritize Physical Health:
- Park farther away and walk.
- Get up every hour: Walk to the bathroom, get a drink, go to the printer or chat with a coworker.
- On your lunch break, take a walk around the building, climb a couple flights of stairs or hit the gym for a quick workout.
- Make sure to stay hydrated: It can be easy to get busy and forget about your daily water intake.
- Bring food from home: It is healthier and gives you time to do other things on your break!
- If possible, get a standing desk or a mini foot cycler that fits under your desk.
Being active is important to ensure your overall health and quality of life. Try to incorporate some of these tips into your life and see how much better you feel mentally and physically!