Having a healthy brain and adequate cognitive function is essential. There are certain foods we can include more of in our diets to ensure our brain is performing at its best. Oxidative stress is when there is an imbalance in the number of free radicals and antioxidants in your body. When free radicals are not balanced by antioxidants, they don’t fight off pathogens as well. This can lead to infection, damage to fatty tissue, DNA and proteins. Below is a list of foods to help combat oxidative stress, cognitive decline, and promote healthy brain function.
- Avocado: Packed with healthy mono-saturated fats, avocados can help improve blood flow to the brain, reduce blood pressure, and support information-carrying nerves in the brain. All of which combat cognitive decline.
- Berries: Berries contain antioxidants that help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation throughout the brain and body. They can also improve memory.
- Coffee: With antioxidants that are great for brain function, coffee can increase the brain’s capacity for processing information.
- Dark Chocolate: This contains many antioxidants that boost mood and alertness as well as improving brain plasticity which is a key contributor for learning.
- Fatty fish: Salmon and many other fatty fish contain omega 3 fatty acids which can improve the structure of neurons in the brain and improve blood flow to the brain.
- Nuts and Seeds: These contain many antioxidants but they are particularly high in Vitamin E, which helps combat oxidative stress and improves cognition.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains also contain vitamin E and vitamin B, which reduces inflammation. They can also help maintain blood sugar throughout the day, keeping you focused and alert.
Incorporate more of these foods into your diet and see how much more focused and alert you feel! Whether you are going back to school, trying to stay sharp at work or just performing your best at daily life, we hope these brain-boosting foods could have a positive impact on your life.