Turkey & Brown Rice Chili
Happy December! Chili is such a popular staple food this season and we found this recipe just in time. While it cooks you have time to throw together a green, veggie salad to complete this hearty winter meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound uncooked ground turkey breast
- 2½ cups coarsely chopped red and/or green bell peppers (2 large)
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- ½ cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans 50%-less-sodium beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Grated Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add turkey, bell peppers, onion, celery and garlic; cook until meat is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain, if needed.
- Stir broth, kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, chile peppers and cumin into meat mixture in large saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 45 minutes. Stir in brown rice. Cook, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes more or until desired consistency. If desired, sprinkle individual servings with Cheddar cheese.
This recipe is from Diabetic Living Magazine* Picture from eatingwell.com*
Nutrition Information – Serving size: 1½ cup – Per serving: 306 calories; 4 g fat(1 g sat); 9 g fiber; 40 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 36 mcg folate; 37 mg cholesterol; 11 g sugars; 2,219 IU vitamin A; 72 mg vitamin C; 56 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 346 mg sodium; 323 mg potassium Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Vitamin A (44% dv) Carbohydrate Servings: 2½ – Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean protein, 1 vegetable