Food, nutrition and eating skills are among the most important things you can share with children that will be with them forever. Learning these healthy habits at a young age will help children make better choices as an adult. Food to fuel busy, successful lives, nutrition to nourish strong bodies and smart brains, and eating skills to enjoy the social aspect of meals with family and friends.
Here are a few tips to teach your children how to start living healthy lives from a young age:
- Serve regular, balanced meals and snacks with a variety of nutrient-rich foods.
- Provide calm, pleasant meal times where adults and children can talk together.
- Allow children to use their internal signals to decide how much and what to eat.
- Explore a variety of flavors and foods from different cultures and cuisines.
- Make food safety, including washing hands, a part of every eating occasion.
- Teach basic skills for making positive food choices away from home.
- Allow children to help in the kitchen.