Are you eating breakfast?
Breakfast is often referred to as the most important meal of the day, yet many skip this meal due to wanting to sleep in a little later, busy morning schedules, or not having the feeling of hunger due to not getting fuel in the morning for long periods of time. It’s important however to remember that breakfast literally means breaking the fast so giving your mind and body good nutrients first thing in the morning will allow you to set your day up for success. Think of it as getting your metabolism off to a great start.
If you struggle with time constraints in the morning and don’t want to sacrifice more sleep or productivity, consider meal prepping overnight oats for breakfast. Overnight oats are very simple to make and a great way to get a variety of nutrients. You can make the same recipe for each day of the week or have different options by changing a few ingredients, and they can be stored in an airtight container for up to five days
The key essentials that you will need for overnight oats are:
- Mason jars with lids (5-7) if you prefer to have this daily, old fashioned oats, liquid of choice (milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk etc.)
- Your favorite toppings: blueberries, raspberries, (any berries really), other fruit like bananas, apples, pears, pumpkin, sliced almonds, raisins, chia seeds, flaxseeds, walnuts, nut butters, coconut flakes, Greek yogurt, plain yogurt
- Spice it up: add your favorite spices such as cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, pumpkin spice (perfect for the fall) or even ginger bread spice for the winter
- Screw the lid on and put your delicious and nutritious creations in the fridge
And there you have it! You’ve got breakfast for the week! Just grab one each morning and take with you to work if you can’t have it at home. Feel free to add a little sweetener such as stevia or some local honey if desired.
Tips: Add ingredients such as chia seed or flaxseed for omega-3’s and additional fiber. Also, if you want a crunchier texture, add your nuts in the morning as opposed to the night prior.
See below for a sample breakdown of serving sizes for each ingredient.
- ½ -3/4 c. of rolled oats
- ½- 3/4 c. of liquid of your choice
- 2 tsp. of nuts or seeds
- 1 tsp of your favorite spice
- ½ c. berries or 1 smashed banana
- 1-2 tsp. of sweetener (if desired)