1 can No Sodium Garbanzo Beans, using liquid only
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200°F, line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Strain chickpeas from 1 can and reserve liquid (aquafaba) in a bowl. You can use chickpeas for another dish.
- Get out an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Add your cream of tartar into the aquafaba and beat on medium speed until you attain soft peaks (3-5 minutes).
- While continuing to beat the mixture, gradually add in your sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add vanilla to mixture, continue beating on medium (5-8 minutes more). The meringue is completed when you have stiff peaks (the mixture stands up straight when the whisk or beaters are lifted).
- Use a piping bag or spoon to create 1-inch rounds on the parchment paper- should allow for 36-40 meringues.
- Bake until dry to the touch, about 1 hour. If you choose to make a larger meringue, bake for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before storing in a tightly sealed container.