Looking for a new dip to serve at mealtimes or a friendly gathering? Most dips can be heavy in calories, but the recipe below includes more fiber and vitamins/minerals with fewer calories than the traditional cheesy dip.
Roasted Eggplant Hummus*
–Serves 6 to 8
1 medium eggplant
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 Tbsp tahini
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp lemon zest
1 lemon, juiced
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
Pomegranate seeds, optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 420F.
- Cut eggplant in half. Rub the cut side of the eggplant with 1 T of olive oil and place on a roasting pan, cut side down.
- Roast the eggplant until the interior is tender, 25-30 minutes. Let cool.
- Cut the eggplant in half and scoop the inside out, tossing the skin.
- In a food processor, combine the roasted eggplant “meat” with the remaining 2 T olive oil and other ingredients.
- Puree to desired consistency and serve.
Calories: 135 Total fat: 7g Sat fat: <1 g Sodium: 164 mg Cholesterol: 0 mg
Total carb: 14 g Dietary Fiber: 4 g Sugars: 2 g Protein: 3 g
*Recipe & photo by Chef Katie Cavuto, MS, RD, of Nourish.Breath.Thrive
*Also courtesy of Today’s Dietitian