Hearty Italian Vegetable Beef Soup is filled with chunks of ground beef, plenty of vegetables, and generous Italian spices. This soup freezes quite well, making it perfect for easy lunches.
Servings: 10-12 servings
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small, about 1 cup
- 10 medium carrots, sliced thin, about 4 cups
- 6 stalks celery, sliced thin, about 3 cups
- 6 cups water
- 1 16-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head green cabbage, roughly chopped, about 4 cups
- In the bottom of a large pot, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef along with the garlic and onion. When the beef has browned, about 8 minutes, add the carrots, celery, and water to the pot. Increase heat to high and add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover with a lid. Once the soup is boiling, stir and reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered for about 15-20 min. until the carrots are tender.
- Taste the soup and adjust the salt as desired. Stir in the cabbage. Simmer a few more minutes, just until the cabbage has wilted. Top with cheese, if desired, just before serving. Enjoy!
FREEZER TIP: This soup freezes well and can be reheated in the microwave straight from the freezer or allowed to thaw in the refrigerator and then reheated on the stove or in the microwave. Consider storing it in small containers with appropriate portions for easy meals.
Recipe from: https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/italian-vegetable-beef-soup-recipe/